Who doesn’t love a perfectly grilled BBQ Rib Eye steak on a warm summer night? Or any other night for that matter? A good bone in Rib Eye is one of the simplest main dishes you can make on the grill without a ton of extra prep.
All you need is a good steak, some barbecue rub & olive oil and you are ready to grill! There of course are more time consuming and other delicious recipes out there but when we are in a hurry and just want a good tender and juicy bone in rib eye, this is one of our favorite go to recipes.
Read below for our simple instructions on how to BBQ Rib Eye Steaks!
- 4 bone-in Rib Eye Steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1/3 cup of Barbecue Rub such as John Henry’s Pecan or Bourbon Rub or make our recipe that we use on our steaks– Mama Rub Recipe
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- Equipment recommended: Meat thermometer
- Properly prep & oil your grill–click here for instructions if you don’t know how to do that already.
- Heat grill to high heat. If cooking over charcoal, we recommend throwing some soaked wood chips on the fire as well to add to the smoky flavor of the steaks.
- Rub each Rib Eye on all sides with the olive oil, then apply BBQ rub to the steaks.
- Place each steak on the grill–if you want to get good grill marks you can place the steak at an angle. Consider the back of the BBQ to be 12 noon if you were looking at a clock. When you place the steaks on the grill you can place them at an angle to 11 AM. After the Rib Eye grills for 2 minutes, rotate the steak so that the same end of the steak that was facing 11 AM is now rotated to face 1 PM. Grill for another 2 minutes.
- Flip the steaks and repeat on the other side. Cook another 3-6 minutes total on the second side, depending on how you like your steaks.
- For Medium-Rare we will check the temperature after 4 minutes on the second side. We pull the rib eye off when internal temperature is between 130-135 degrees then let rest for 5-10 minutes tented lightly with aluminum foil prior to cutting into it to eat as it allows the juices to rest and the internal temperature will rise a few more degrees as well.
- And enjoy!